Pictures and Blogging - adding pictures to your blog for FREE!
Blogging is a wonderful tool to drive traffic to your website. Creating REMARKABLE content on your blog can be difficult though . . .
Problem One: Plain text is BORING. Adding pictures to your blog will increase engagement, interaction and readership.
Problem Two: Buying stock photography for each post you write on your blog can get expensive.
Problem Three: Using unlicensed pictures can be costly. New software makes it fairly simple for stock photo companies to find their photos that are being used without a license and when they do their licensing fees are OUTRAGEOUS - sometimes fees exceed $1,000 or more!
The solution: Use Flickr.com and search their extensive Creative Commons photo library to find photos to use on our blog for FREE! Follow these steps and you will be able to add photos to your blog posts in moments!
- Go to http://flickr.com
- Create a FREE account on Flickr
- Login to Flickr using your the account information you just registered with
- Go to the BOTTOM of the page and select Creative Commons
- Choose the Creative Commons library you want to search (I recommend the Attribution library)
- Search for the type of image you want to use in your blog
- Select the image you want to use to see it in detail
- Click the SHARE THIS button above the image
- Click the GRAB THE HTML/BB CODE button in the drop down menu
- Select the size image you want to use (default is MEDIUM)
- Copy the code that appears in the box above the image size selector
- Go to your blogging platform
- Choose INSERT HTML or the similar command in your blog editor
- Paste the HTML code that you copied into your blog post
- Save your blog post and publish it.
Here is a sample photo I choose when I went to find an image about photography:
I was recently intereviewed by Michael Sjostedt from the Quitter to Winner Blog about how to use LinkedIn effectively. Take a look at the his interview blog post and check out the comments from Michael Yoder too (great additions).
Covered topics include:
- Why should you use LinkedIn?
- What are the top things you should do when you join?
- What are some of things you should do and not do to generate sales on LinkedIn?
- How can you use LinkedIn to promote your company?
- and more!
Have you ever tried to write a slightly longer update on Facebook only to be told that you can not type more than 420 characters?
Have you ever wondered how some people write posts that are multiple paragraphs, even pages long on Facebook?
The answer is quite simple, although elusive if you do not know where to look. Facebook offers multiple ways for you to post an update. You can:
- type an update in the "What's on your mind" box
- upload a photo
- upload a video
- share a link
- create an event
and you can write a note. A note? Yes, a note. By writing your update as a Facebook Note you can create lengthy articles including numerous paragraphs or pages of text. And the best part? It is easy to do.
How to write a Facebook Note:
- Login to your Facebook page
- Go to your Profile Page
- Click on the Notes tab (if you do not see a Notes tab click on the >> tab to the right of your viewable tabs and then select Notes)
- Click on the button Write a Note
- Give your note a title
- Type your text in the body of the note
- Add any relevant tags (think keywords)
- Add any photos you want linked to your new note
You are done!
Facebook will then automatically post the note on your wall and your note and its contents will be available for all of your Facebook Friends (or Fans if you do this on a Facebook Business page) will have access to your new creation.
So, what have you been wanting to write about? Let me know or write about it and share a link in the comments.
The Quitter to Winner Blog just interviewed our own Jonathan Mast on "How startups can maximize the web and social media." We talked about:
What are some social media/web best practices for a new small business?
What questions should a startup ask a web developer during the vendor selection process?
To CMS or not CMS? What are some pros and cons to a content management system?
What three things must a startup know about SEO?
Can you really get sales from Twitter and Facebook?
We are honored to be chosen by Quitter to Winner and highly recommend you take a look at their excellent blog for small businesses, entrepreneurs and startups.